What is Industrial Engineering?
Industrial Engineering is an engineering discipline that focuses on the design, modeling, control and optimization of complex systems under time and cost constraints.
Our program covers the main topics in Industrial Engineering such as Operations Research, Statistics and Data Analysis, Production and Inventory Planning, Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Simulation, Network Theory, Quality Control, Project Management, along with Automation and Control Engineering Methodology and Information Technology. All these areas are unified under the principles of Systems Engineering, supported by Systems Modeling and System Dynamics approaches.
The systems approach focuses on the entire system and takes a holistic view rather than addressing the constituent parts of the system individually. Today, complex systems combine more than one of the following sub-systems: technological, biological, sociological, environmental, industrial, political, economic, and financial. Industrial and Systems engineers work on the modeling, control and optimization of such systems while revealing the relationships and interactions between different system elements.
Industrial Engineers work in the following areas: planning in production and service sector, operational planning, R&D, Automation-Control and Mechatronics, Logistics, Information processing design, facility layout design, project management, Supply chain management, ERP-SAP consulting.
Industrial Engineering Department is in contact with the following organizations
- INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering) Turkey Branch
- Chamber of Mechanical Engineers of Turkey
- Operational Research Society (ORST) -Turkey
- Purdue University- USA
- RIT – USA
- InHolland University – Netherlands
- Montana State University – USA
- ASEM (American Society for Engineering Management)
- INFORMS (The Institute for Operations Research and Management Science)
- The European Operational Research Society
Yeditepe University, Industrial Engineering Department has been accredited by Association for Evaluation and Accreditation of Engineering Programs (MÜDEK) and European Network for Accreditation of Engineering Education (ENAEE) between 30 September 2019 – 30 September 2021 for the third time.
Success Stories of Our Graduates
As of 2020, nearly 1000 students graduated from our department. Around one-third of them pursued a graduate program in international universities or universities in Turkey including Stanford, Berkeley, USC, Rutgers, Delft, Lund, Ecole Centrale, Boğaziçi University, ODTÜ, İTÜ, Koç University, Sabancı University, and Yeditepe University.
Around 5 percent of the graduates are working as professional engineers or researchers in the areas of telecommunication systems, SAP, energy systems, petroleum industry, and finance in countries including Germany, USA, Sweden, UK, and Australia. Information about some of them can be found in the following links:
- Pos-Doc at Rutgers University and consultant in the USA
- M.Sc., Standford, MBA, Harvard Business School, worked in EBAY
- Ph.D., Politecnico di Milano / Ecole Centrale Paris
- Ph.D., Texas A&M University
- IT Regional Manager, Sandoz, Munich
- Portfolio Manager, London
Some of the graduates working in Turkey
- Supply Chain Manager, Migros
- Process Development Specialist, Medical Park Hospitals
- Planning Director, BP
- Director of Software Development Department, Vodafone
- Production Planning Engineer, Makina Takım Endüstris(MTE)i
- Team Leader, ABB
- R&D Engineer, Renault
- Transportation Coordinator, İKEA
- Corporate Sales Manager, Turkcell
- Operations Director, DHL
- Project Manager, HSBC
- Quality Group Leader, Legrand
- Database Manager, Havelsan
Graduates sharing their success stories